Lights! Camera! Action! And most definitely, apprehension! Prepare yourselves, fellow reality-questioners, because Charlie Brooker’s cryptic brainchild, Black Mirror, is making a triumphant return to Netflix on June 15th 2023. The wait has felt like forever, but hey, good things come to those who brood on societal dread, right?
Season six will serve up five mind-bending episodes – yes, that’s two more than last season, which feels like it was released in a different millennium (summer 2019, if you’re wondering). Buckle up for a wild ride as the Emmy-winning series promises to “stretch the parameters” of what we’ve come to expect from our beloved existential crisis-inducing show.
In his official announcement, Brooker teased, “I’ve always felt that Black Mirror should feature stories that are entirely distinct from one another, and keep surprising people (and myself) or else what’s the point?” Well, Mr. Brooker, we have to agree. It’s the unexpected jolts, the unforeseen plot twists and the uncanny reflections of reality that make Black Mirror such a feast for our brain cells.
Promising an eclectic mix of narratives with “crazy swings and more variety than ever before,” season six will feature a star-studded cast including Aaron Paul, Salma Hayek Pinault, and our favourite lady from Schitt’s Creek, Annie Murphy.
Now, allow us to tantalize you with a sneak peek into the episodes that await:
- ‘Joan is Awful’: Think your life is boring? So did Joan, until she found Salma Hayek playing her in a TV drama on a global streaming platform. Now, that’s some serious meta-fiction!
- ‘Loch Henry’: What happens when a Scottish nature documentary takes a detour into a thrilling tale from the past? Probably something eerie, if we know Brooker.
- ‘Beyond the Sea’: Welcome to 1969, where two men wrestle with an unthinkable tragedy amidst their high-tech mission. Sounds like a party, doesn’t it?
- ‘Mazey Day’: The paparazzi. A hit-and-run. A troubled starlet. You know, just another day in the world of Black Mirror.
- ‘Demon 79’: Northern England, 1979. A shy sales assistant is told she must commit terrible acts to prevent disaster. Now, this is what we call a retail nightmare.
This rollercoaster ride into dystopian wonderlands is brought to you by executive producers Charlie Brooker, Jessica Rhoades, Annabel Jones and Bisha K. Ali, with production by Broke & Bones. Mark your calendars and prepare to sink into your couches as Black Mirror season six debuts on Netflix this June 2023. Remember, we warned you!