This year’s nominees for the Russ Manning Promising Newcomer Award (aka The Manning Award) have been announced.
The 2012 nominees are:
- Craig Cermak, artist of Voltron, Year One (published by Dynamite)
- Martin Cóccolo, artist of Helldorado (published by APE Entertainment)
- Tyler Crook, artist of Petrograd (published by Oni Press) and B.P.R.D. (published by Dark Horse)
- Teagan Gavet, penciler of Nordguard: Across Thin Ice (Published by Sofawolf)
- Dave Wachter, artist of Night of 1,000 Wolves and That Hellbound Train (published by IDW)
The Manning Award has been given out annually at the San Diego Comic-Con since 1982. It is presented to a comics artist who, early in his or her career, shows a superior knowledge and ability in the art of creating comics. It is named for Russ Manning, the artist best known for his work on the Tarzan and Star Wars newspaper strips and the Magnus, Robot Fighter comic book. Russ was a popular guest at the San Diego convention in the 1970s.
The first recipient of the award was former Manning assistant Dave Stevens. Other past recipients include Jan Duursema, Steve Rude, Scott McCloud, Art Adams, Eric Shanower, Dan Brereton, Jeff Smith, Gene Ha, Alexander Maleev, Goran Sudzuka, Eric Wight, David Petersen, Cathy Malkasian, Eleanor Davis, and Marion Churchland.